Plan of action; The next couple of months

I am happy that I already purchased my ticket for Sun-n-Fun, I fly in late Monday night (actually it’s Tuesday morning and leave late Wednesday. At SnF I can accomplish a lot and get some ideas for my build. My main reason for going is to try on different manufactures of parachutes, see which one fits me the best. Also I plan to try on a helmet.

Still, I am up in-the-air (Pun intended!!) about if I want to put lights on my airplane, so this will give me the opportunity to meet different vendors and if they have something lightweight and economical,  I may consider it.

My plan is to put a one-place canopy on, so again, a great opportunity to see what everyone else is doing.

It is time for me to consider what I want to do about a seat so I got a great idea from someone on biplaneforum. His method was to use a system that creates a custom mold of you bum. After the mold is finished, it is trimmed, some extra squeeze foam is added to certain areas. Then finally the mold can be covered in your choice of fabric (4th, 5th & 6th picture down). This is fantastic, the only problem with this route is I will need to have a parachute to be able to make the mold, and most likely I will wait on the parachute purchase.

Another option I have for a seat is purchasing it from Aircraft Spruce. The only problem with this is that the seat doesn’t look that comfortable. I did find someone who installed this seat and has gotten good reviews so this may work.

Finally one more option for a seat, or as this is, a seat back.

 

If you notice in the plans there is a steel diagonal tube going from station 51 to 79

skybolt.jpg

The previous builder put a horizontal tube which the diagonal tube should be…..why? Who knows, but it is structural and needs to be fixed.

Progress…  January Summary (part 2 of 2)

As mentioned in the first part of the January Summary we had some issues with the new engine mount not fitting.

 

An engine mount jig was made and sent to Steen Aero for them to make a new engine mount.

screenshot-2017-02-23-20-19-40

 

Part of mounting the engine mount to the frame requires a ‘engine spool’ to be welded into the frame.

 

Here are the spools and where they need to be welded. Some of the diagonal tube needs to be cut for a nice fit.

 

Because I am building this airplane strictly for aerobatics, I am trying to save weight everyplace I can. My firewall was built out of titanium to save a few pounds.

Here is the new firewall:

 

 

We also closed up the longerons with steel plates. The edges were made chamfered so when/if the edges need to be grinded, it wont compromise the integrity of the weld.

 

Now onto the wing attachments. If you take a look at the plans the front wing fittings require the tab (flying wire attach point) to be bent to 26.45 degrees. The previous builder who I purchased the airplane from welded this tab on instead of bending it.

Here is a picture from  another builder that has encountered the same problem as me.

screenshot_20170223-190959
Photo taken from biplaneforum.com

 

This is not good, especially because this need to be strong.

Here is a shot of the plans showing the bend radius and the new wing attachment ordered from Steen Aero.